Saturday, March 19, 2011

Finally the weekend!

The last few days have been really intense. We have rush, rush, rushed through all sorts of information. I jokingly told my instructor that I should just bring a funnel, lay on the plinth and prop the funnel in my ear since she insists on pouring more and more info into my brain. The funnel might make it faster!

I spent Thursday on a "field trip" as I like to call it. We went to one of the local offices of a national prosthetics and orthotics company and received a wonderful welcome. They brought in donuts and juice for us for breakfast and then spent the next 5 hours demonstrating how prosthetics and orthotics are made, the different types out there, and even asked one of their customers to come in and be a visual example for us. The young man that came in was an Army Ranger wounded in Iraq. He is an amazing guy. It takes someone with a lot of confidence to come in and let a group of women ogle your injury and your prosthetic and watch as you are fitted for parts and the prosthetic is repaired. He answered all of our questions and then some, and really made us all laugh the whole time. It was a great reminder why I love physical therapy...even when I'm ready to jump off a cliff because I'm so overwhelmed.  The company bought us pizza for lunch to close out the day so that was really nice of them as well.

Then it was back to the real world and here, this is due, and this is due and don't forget to do this, and your research project....blah blah blah!!! I came home that night and went to bed at 8:30. Mental exhaustion is the worst!! I can usually push thru being physically tired but when my brain gives out, that's it. I'm done.

Therefore... on this wonderful, sunny, beautiful first day of my spring break, I'm going to sit here and knock out as many projects as I possibly can. I want to get as much done so the rest of the week isn't quite as hectic. I have to work next week, and it's my last week there until summer term, so I've got to get my replacement up and running on her own (at least mostly!) and get some things done so that my next week back at school I can focus on studying for finals and getting thing lined up with my clinical site.

In my personal world, my 13 year old's surgeon finally came back from vacation. We've been waiting about 2 weeks to find out what his restriction levels are. Spring football practice started last week and the change in terms for him means he's back to PE class again. As a (future!) therapist, I knew things were bad in his knee because of what I've seen and learned. But there's always a part of you that hopes maybe it's not quite that bad. Wednesday they called and told us that Dr. Hunt had fixed up Dustin's note and it was with the receptionist at the front desk for us to pick up. My mother-in-law (who is a nurse, and knows Dr. Hunt also) stopped by his office and spoke with him and picked up the note for us last night. I opened it up when I got home from work and Dustin has total restriction. No football conditioning, no PE class, no activity whatsoever. I think that was the final door slamming for me. I know the signs and symptoms of a "terrible triad of the knee" which is why I took him to the ER in the middle of a game. And I also know that we have a lovely collection of various knee braces now. But when a surgeon tells a very active, athletic 13 y/o boy that he can't do ANYTHING... I have to assume it's all damaged. Dustin is trying very hard to act like it doesn't bother him but I know that he misses football something terrible, his friends and the camaraderie. I just can't help but wonder if he will ever get back to playing with the confidence and skill he had before. That kid had the heart of a grown man on the field, and all he has ever wanted was to play football. God has a plan for him, and it's starting to look like the plan we thought was in motion is now being changed. Nothing to do now but wait and see. We go back to see the doctor in May for a surgical consult to determine when he will operate.

I guess it's also God's way of making sure I have a hormonal, emotional teenager after all! *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment